blog background

Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Heart For Haiti

originally written Jan. 16th, 2010

    Like many of you, I have been overwhelmed with grief and compassion for what the people of Haiti are enduring. I have been spending a significant part of the past 3-4 days reading missionary blogs, watching news reports, praying for the needs I'm aware of, and talking to others about what any of us can do to help. In 2000-2001 Kim and I both had an opportunity to visit Haiti on mission trips. We didn't go on the same trip, but we went to many of the same places at different times and had similar experiences. While I can't do as much as I'd like to help the current circumstances, one thing I can is to share some of why I have a heart for Haiti.

    There were many things I experienced on my trip that forever changed me as a follower of Christ. I remember arriving in Port-au-Prince, and seeing, hearing, and smelling first hand what life is like in the most "prominent" city of one of the poorest nations in the world. I remember worshiping with a group of Haitians in the remote village of Seguin, who will always be to me the embodiment of what Paul meant when he told the Roman church to, “rejoice in sufferings." (Romans 5:3-5) I remember the moral conflict of being back in the richest nation in the planet and seeing the wealth of resources that I and those around me invested in things so much less significant than a beautiful but struggling people well within our reach to serve.

    The overwhelming memory I have of Haiti is that in the poorest nation in the western hemisphere I met some of the richest people in love for the Lord and realized my own spiritual poverty. I went on a mission trip there expecting to give out of my abundance and bless them, and returned feeling as though the opposite had happened. I hope all of you who read this will join me in doing your part to help Haiti, not only in the quick and convenient ways, but in the ways it is needed for as long as it is needed.


In Christ,

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment