blog background

Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Painting Jobs...


So on Sunday, I decided to wait to paint until after our family comes up for Noah's birthday. I decided I didn't want to push myself to try and get it all done and get sick because I don't eat or sleep much. However, Monday morning comes and my friends leave and so I think I should nap... twice I tried to nap. That didn't happen because I just kept thinking of ideas for the walls, bathroom mirror, dresses to make for Hannah, ideas for finishing her curtains, etc, etc. So I got up to paint!

Well, when we moved in a little early, it put a halt to some of the paint jobs the church was going to do for us. Which is kinda exciting for me because this means I got to pick out paint colors. While I don't love the task, I love the idea and outcome of painting. To just start from something mediocre or plain and turn it into a reflection of your life is so thrilling to me!

So I gathered ideas from my mom, Gramie, and aunt about what colors should go where, talked over different ideas and came up with the following plan. We are painting the downstairs bathroom, kitchen and dining room my favorite color, blue! It will flow well from the other rooms and we have plenty of decor that coordinates (because we can't just go out and buy new things now can we!!). Also in the kitchen, we are changing the gray cabinets (workshop gray) to a cream color and painting the trim (also gray).

The one finished room is the bathroom since it's the smallest and easiest!



Then upstairs, we are repainting/touching up the trim in all the rooms and painting the kids rooms. Hannah is finally going to get lots of pink! We're putting a soft shade of pink on the walls, a green border with possible cream stenciling, and a green closet. Why the green closet? I don't know, except Hannah has asked for it and it will look tidy and cute so why not! In Noah's room, we are doing a blue (supposedly his favorite color) on the walls that will match his football/baseball/etc quilt and then have some pops of red from the quilt on a shelf and in his curtains. His new "big boy" bed (full size in both kids rooms - great for company!) is black so I'm going to paint his new dresser to match. Of course after we picked out and bought paint, he asks where we're painting yellow! So I'm not sure if that is an actual favorite color or if he has one yet!

We can't wait to see the finished project, but seeing how much there is to do, I am forcing myself not to try and get it done today or tomorrow! So if you come to visit or see things in pictures, know our house is a work in progress! I will be adding a slide-show when more of the rooms are done and hopefully will have enough before pictures for you to see that something was even done to a room! And I am realizing how time consuming painting a small space can be when you need three or more coats of paint to brighten something dark! But I find that I can paint a little with my left hand to get into small areas or give the right side a break!

And speaking of breaks...I am so glad for Andy taking the kids out at times to find new spots to visit or out to play! Like right now they are somewhere Roan Mt and have been gone long enough that I put two coats of paint on almost all the cabinets! Also, we have played hide-n-seek with our kids, so earlier today, I encouraged them to play together! So Hannah sends Noah to count to 20 first (hey, she is big sis!) and he starts counting to 11, and I help with a few and he skips 15, and gets to 19 and thinks he's done! And he is pointing for some reason while counting! Then Hannah comes in to tell me where she hid and speeds through her numbers ready to find Noah or give him a chance and pretend she doesn't see him! Love these moments! Maybe I'll brave the video option and tape some of these precious moments!

1 comment:

  1. OH darlin' every house is a work in progress...you've seen mine. :-) You're doing a wonderful job and I"m of an age now that I don't envy you all the painting. But I've been there, the inability to sleep because the ideas are dancing like a blizzard in my head and the feelings of frustration because I can't wiggle my nose and have them done. But as I've aged I've learned (somewhat) some patience and realize how much more I appreciate things because I had to wait. I alwasy think of that song Anticipation...you are of an age you may only know it as a jingle for a ketchup commercial. LOL Carry on! :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete